Moderator: TSF Global Moderator Team

Antworten
Smokin' Ace
Mietmuskel
Mietmuskel

[SR4]NEWS: "A message from the new line developer"

Beitrag von Smokin' Ace »

Bild

Hey folks! I’m Jason Hardy, the new Shadowrun developer. I’m excited to be in this position, and the first thing I want to say is thank you—thanks to all the fans, writers, artists, and everyone else who kept Shadowrun alive for twenty years, long enough for me to first work in the setting as a writer and editor, and now to develop products for it. The fans deserve a special thanks—your dedication and patience has been extraordinary. I look forward to seeing your energy, passion, and—inevitably—criticism as Shadowrun moves into its third decade.

I also want to thank the Shadowrun developers I’ve worked with—Mike Mulvihill, Rob Boyle, Peter Taylor, John Dunn, Jennifer Harding, and Adam Jury. Just the fact that they’ve let me play in this sandbox is enough for me to thank them, but they’ve all been generous with their knowledge and enthusiasm about the setting. Adam actually was the first to break the news to me that I’d been hired when he pulled me aside and told me that that if I f—– up the game he’d been playing for decades, he’d kill me. You don’t get kind of support and dedication just anywhere.

I know why fans care about Shadowrun, because it grabbed me just like it grabbed them. It started, like it often does, with the art, the images that defined “cool” a thousand different ways. And then the text, with the attitude, the edge, and the corner-of-the-mouth cynicism. I saw this stuff, and I fell in love.

So back in the early part of the decade, I wrote a couple of books for the late lamented Crimson Skies game, and the editor liked them. She asked me if there were any other FASA games I’d be interested in writing for, and my answer came quick—Shadowrun. She said okay, and I got to work plotting a novel.

Then FASA shut down, and that seemed like the end. Thankfully, it wasn’t. There are a lot of tangled stops and starts between now and then, but the end results were that Shadowrun continued, and I’ve had a ball contributing to it in different ways, including a novel (Drops of Corruption), contributions to many sourcebooks, and an April Fool’s Day joke that got nominated for an ENnie. Now I get the chance to push the Shadowrun world forward, and I couldn’t be more thrilled.

I’ve said this many times in the past few weeks—I’m moving into a game with some tremendous strengths. The rules are award-winning and popular, the art is becoming more eye-popping every month, and the talent pool for writing and art is deep. And the setting—ah, the setting that has kept people playing even when the rules were cumbersome, even when product releases were sporadic at best. My shorthand description for the setting is “magic cyberpunk noir,” and usually by the time I get to the third word of that phrase, I’m smiling broadly. It’s everything I love in the world in one place—except it’s missing “Twinkies.” Add that to it (“magic cyberpunk noir Twinkies”?) and it would be perfect.

So my job isn’t to reinvent the rules or the setting. My job is to help as many people dive into the greatest RPG setting there is—and to make sure all the fantastic ideas people have for this setting get out the door and into your hands. One Shadowrun freelancer, Mark Dynna, summed it up well when he said (and I’m paraphrasing here) that our job is to add value to the players’ games. That’s what I want to do—provide storylines, characters, gear, magic, and anything else that makes your game more varied, more interesting, more fun.

And this is where you come in—what would add value to your games? We’ve got plenty of ideas in the works, but I’m happy to add more. Throw in a comment and tell me what you’re looking for!

Thanks for playing!

Quelle: http://www.shadowrun4.com/wordpress/200 ... -developer
Bild
Mein Blog u.a. mit SR Themen:
http://www.pnprpg.de
Bild
Angier
Top Runner
Top Runner
Beitrag von Angier »

Was er über Shadowrun schreibt ist natürlich endlos geschönt. Aber interessant wird der frische Wind, den er in den Laden bringt trotzdem.
So say we all.
Antworten

Zurück zu „ShadowRun News“